Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Friday Forum - April 22 - Plus Dustin Lujan's New Beauty Line

In the comments of various features, I told you that Dustin Lujan, shown above, everyone's favorite ex-Le Métier de Beauté makeup artist and ambassador, would be back. I knew what he was doing, but I was sworn to secrecy (and I keep confidential information confidential). Now that the world knows - as long as its inhabitants read Facebook or Instagram - I feel comfortable telling you that Dustin has designed his own makeup collection to launch as his partner Victor de Souza's beauty line. The collection is launching with lip colors, and there will be a launch party next week in New York City at Osswald.

If you live in NYC, go - whether you received an invitation to the event or not. The rest of us have to gaze and adore from afar.

Dustin has created a beautiful, full collection of lip colors for Victor (a renowned fashion designer), and he will continue to launch new products as the line grows. I'm thoroughly excited for him! I may be one of his biggest fans, and I consider him a great friend. He knows makeup - so few artists really do. He knows ingredients, he knows how to make products wear well - I don't think there's anything he doesn't know or understand. Plus he has a keen eye for beauty. He was an asset to Le Métier de Beauté, and now to Victor dE Souza Beauty. Their loss, Dustin's and Victor's gain. He has deserved to create his own line for years.

Look at the gorgeous lip color above: Kyla Malbon is wearing Satin Lipstick in Stage Fright. I want that shade! Once I see the full line, I'm sure I'll covet others. Dustin is a master of makeup. It appears that his colors range from everyday go-to shades to artsy, avant garde treasures.

I don't have the pricing yet, but as soon as I have products in hand, I will give you more information. I know you fellow Dustin fans will be excited. You can order by calling Josie at (212) 625-3111. Remember Josie? Joey Glowy Bunny?

I still have Tom Ford and other makeup to show you. I have had a tough week - long hours, ridiculous 15-minute commutes that stretched to 45, after-work errands, and too little time to write. I'll catch up with photos and writing over the weekend. I'm excited about some of the new things that have trickled in, like Estée Lauder's newest Bronze Goddess Collection (finally something exciting from EL!).

Our DC eaglets are growing every day. I hope you are watching on http://dceaglecam.org/. They are so adorable. This week, we had a scare as DC3 tried to expel a pellet (undigestable materials). He ate next to nothing for a day while he hacked like a cat with a hairball. He recovered in a day, but we obsessed observers wanted to give him the Heimlich.

It's time for our Friday Forum and weekend conversation. The Friday Forum has always been an opportunity to share information. Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Tell us about it! Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Tell us why! Do you have questions others might be able to answer? We can help! Want to talk about skin care? I'm game. Just use the comments. We have busy weekends and slow ones on the forum. I hope you are ready to share. See you in the comments. I'm breaking my Friday Forum rule and publishing this feature tonight, Thursday. I want you to know the news before I leave at 7:20 am for an 8:00 meeting tomorrow morning.

Photos courtesy of Victor dE Souza Beauty (and my sweet friend Dustin, of course)

6 comments:

Eileen said...

That lip color! OMG, that lip color!! Stage Fright is anything but a fright and I can easily understanding your wanting that color because I do, too. :-) I'm so happy for Dustin. I don't know why LMdB and Dustin didn't mesh well, but I sincerely hope that he and his partner will knock it out of the ballpark with a creative collection of top quality products. I know you'll share with us as it becomes available and I can hardly wait to see what he has created.

I went to Sephora today to look at the new Dior Addict Ultra Gloss. Although the colors are beautiful and come in three different finishes, they were not for me. Since I'm in my 70s, I have lip lines and must be careful that color doesn't settle in them. Unfortunately, these do precisely that :-(. I stroked the colors I was interested in on my hand. They applied smoothly and evenly, but as they settled, the color started pooling in the wrinkles on my hand and so I knew they'd do the same on my lips. I always wear a lip liner when I wear gloss so I don't have any problems with bleeding, but there's nothing I can do about the lines actually on my lips. It is what it is. Sigh . . . I did come away with one of the Dior Addict lipsticks in Tribale--a mid-toned orange with a dollop of pink. It's sheer and must be reapplied frequently, but the color stays put, doesn't settle into my lip lines, and it has a nice glossy finish. Win some; lose some! LOL

Busy weekend ahead, but I'll be checking in to read what you other ladies are up to. Have a great weekend, everyone.

Sandra said...

Stage Fright is one of the prettiest pink lip colors I have seen lately and I love that it is satin! I will be in NYC at the end of May and, hopefully, I will be able to see it "live" then. I will be waiting to hear where we can see them, CG. I have the same worries as Eileen, as I am also in my seventies (and counting, thankfully), and lip lines are definitely a consideration in lip color choice -- definitely a huge sigh! Chanel's Rouge Coco Stylo is a favorite of mine, but I have never tried Dior Addict.

My Bobbi Brown order from the sale arrived, and I am very happy with her Highlighting Powder in Pink Glow. It is really more peachy than pink, and gives me a nice glow. I have to say, though, I have been for years using Chanel's Poudre Lumere Glacee, which is colorless, and it really does the same as Bobbie Brown's Highlighting Powder, and is, perhaps, even a tad more subtle. Change is always nice, though!

It is a big weekend here in Northern Vermont as the sugar houses are all open, along with artists' open studios, and many tourists are about. Ski season was a bust, so businesses are hoping for good weather for the festivities that are planned. Dark clouds are looming overhead at the moment, but this is Vermont, and if you don't like the weather wait five minutes! Have a great weekend, all!

Lisa said...

I was hoping Dustin had a soft landing after his sudden, unexpected ,(and somewhat unceremonious) departure from Le Metier de Beaute. I will have to find him on instagram!

Anonymous said...

My current favorite current lip color is Chanel Melodieuse with Chanel Glossimer Murmure. Otherwise, I am still trying the new Chanel Les Beige foundation.
Tanja

Charlestongirl said...


I had a fright this week when I tried to replenish my Armani foundation. I learned that Maestro Fusion Creme had been discontinued. I sprang into action, and now I have four. Nina G at Saks Chevy gave me a new tester of #4, all she had left. That's my shade. Tim Quinn found me one at Armani in New York, and they graciously sent it to me gratis. Then Layla at NM Mazza found two at a NM somewhere, and I bought them. They arrived today. So, I'm good for a year before I have to switch. Pfew!

I wish all companies had a "gone but not forgotten" program like EL does.

Anonymous said...

They are now available online and at Osswalds. I just ordered mine. They are $68.