Saturday, June 16, 2012

MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Shadow

I'm always drawn to new products at Sephora, so I decided to try the new MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Shadow ($20) shades. I perused the options and chose two that looked very similar online, 20E and 28E. I was hoping that they weren't variations on a single color. Now that I have them, I know that the two shades are different - and they work well together - making me feel good about purchasing them both.

Aqua Shadow is a pencil eye shadow that is smudge-proof, long-lasting (they will stand up to the heat of summer), and easy to apply. I love pencils that work well, so I was intrigued. I think the 12 shades in both matte and pearl finishes offer something for everyone. While that rich, matte green may appeal to some, it's too bold for me.

Aqua Shadow’s intensely pigmented, waterproof formula provides immediate, rich color that will not smudge, crease, or fade. Created with silica powder, its ultra creamy texture glides effortlessly on the eyelid and blends easily for an even result. Incredibly simple to use, Aqua Shadow quickly creates a multitude of dynamic and colorful looks.

Shade 20E (on left directly above) is described online as a pearly taupe. It is shown at the top of my arm. Shade 28E (at right) is called pearly beige, although I'd call it a golden beige. I took my swatch photos in full, direct sunlight, and they show more much shine than you'll see indoors. These are radiant shades, something I love. They draw attention to the eyes, but do so in an office-appropriate manner. You won't look like a disco ball, I promise - at least in these two shades.

I really love my new pencil shadows. They apply easily. A single sweep over the lid deposits creamy color that stays put after it sets. No creasing (on me), and no powder to fall anywhere on my face. It's love. I wish there were more shades I could order. Some of them are too "artistic" for my taste. A pearly copper, 22E, may be the only other shade I order in the future.

The Aqua Pencils remind me of MAKE UP FOR EVER's Aqua Cream shadows in pots. Those combined high-quality pigments with mother of pearl particles to give immediate, rich color payoff with a luminous finish in just one application. MAKE UP FOR EVER says its long-lasting eye shadow formulas will not crease or smudge under the most extreme conditions, and their creamy and elastic texture allows for easy blending. I've found that to be true.

Sephora is the exclusive retailer for MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Shadow pencils. That's where I purchased mine.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

10 comments:

time4beauty said...

Do you have some brighter colors? =))

Charlestongirl said...

Just two! They offer brighter colors, but they aren't my style.

bisbee said...

I just got it in the matte navy...I have to play with it to find the best way to wear it!

I also just got the Chanel Rivière shadow from Strawberrynet. Gorgeous!

Evelyn said...

ha! You picked the exact color I've been eying online - 20E and now that I see it on you I like it even better. It looks lovely and I could definitely use an easy pencil to swipe on before I run out the door to get to work (doing full makeup at 5AM doesn't make me happy).

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Bisbee! I would buy navy to use as a liner, but fat pencils don't work for me as liners (I like a very thin line).

Glad you got a few new "toys."

Charlestongirl said...

Evelyn, I really like it. Plus, I understand applying makeup at 5:00 am and leaving home early. It gets old...very old.

Eileen said...

I was looking at the pencils at Sephora the other day, but had to leave before making a decision. I'll definitely have to go back and take more time to see just how quickly they set. I like a well blended, gradient approach to eyeshadow; concentrating the color near the lashline and then blending it out as I take it up the lid before merging it with a contour color. Then I do the same with the contour color. I apply it deeper near the crease and blend it out to merge with the browbone highlighter. I'll definitely have to see if these pencils have enough play time.

Ah, yes, makeup at 5:00 AM. Been there, seen that, done that. :-) Before I retired, I was up every morning at 5:00. I was the master of the "5 Minute Face" and worshipped at the alter of Bobbi Brown. Meeting or presentation days, I'd carry some makeup extras so that I could jazz my look up a bit beforehand. Now that I'm retired, making up has become quite the ritual although I can still get it together in 5 minutes when I have to.

shontay07108 said...

I have several of these pencils including the ones swatched. They are amazing. I use them without primer and they last all day. It's so easy to just use these pencils and go. Sometimes, I skip shadow because I think of the effort to make it perfect and I don't have the time. These pencils make it easy.

My two favorites are the dark brown and the taupe that you swatched. They create a beautiful, natural yet slightly dramatic look that goes with everything. I think I'll end up with all of them. They're so easy to blend, yet once they set, they're on for good.

bisbee said...

I'm hoping to be able to use the navy as a liner...smudging it out enough to leave a dark line only at and between the lashes...at least, that's my plan! ;-}

Shelnmum said...

I almost purchased these yesterday at my local Sephora! But I did not purchase any as I just can't make up my mind which to get!