Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sunday Riley Prismasilk Eye Color in Moon Dust and Leprechaun

Right after Barneys New York had the Beauty Bag Event, the full selection of Sunday Riley Prismasilk Eye Colors ($26) was restocked. I ordered six of them. Today, I'd like to show you two that I had planned to wear together. I'm pleased that my plans worked.

Sunday Riley's multifunctional wet or dry formula can be used as a traditional eyeshadow or as a precision eye liner. The ultra-fine, long-wear formulation is air-milled for exquisite texture and rich, stay-true color. Micronized spherical pigment particles impart effortless blendability and instantly satisfying color payoff.

The Prismasilk Eye Shadows are offered in a range of finishes, from matte to satin to illuminating shimmers. I am always drawn to shimmer shadows, but with Moon Dust and Leprechaun, I selected two of the "tamer" shades. I'd describe Moon Dust as gleaming, but not shimmery, and Leprechaun as lightly shimmering.

You can barely see Moon Dust at the top of my arm in these swatch photos. It is supposed to be a base or highlighting shades, and I knew from talking to Matthew at Sunday Riley at Barneys that it would be perfect for my coloring. He highly recommended it. Leprechaun is a gorgeous grey. When I first saw it, I went running for Edward Bess's Storm to compare the shades. Storm is much lighter, but the same hue.

I applied my swatches with a sponge-tipped applicator and took my photos in late-afternoon sunlight. I couldn't resist including the daffodils as a backdrop, even though my veins were popping for that photo. The flowers were so cheerful. Leprechaun is a gorgeous grey. It shimmers lightly, but is still daytime-appropriate. I love it! I think Moon Dust and Leprechaun look lovely together. I just cover the lid and beyond with Moon Dust and apply Leprechaun from the midline of my lid outward, smudging at the crease and over the the iris so that the color is a whisper at the centerline, but has some impact at the outer corner of my lid.

I think Moon Dust and Leprechaun are fabulous neutrals and a perfect pair. I am so happy that I bought them, sight unseen. My friends at Barneys "did good," talking me through all the options for a base color.

The texture of Sunday Riley eye shadows is nice and creamy for a powder. It applies evenly and easily, despite a small amount of powdery fall-out around the compact (a feature of many powder eye shadows). I apply the shadows with a brush, and they apply and layer well. If there's a little debris from application, it cleans up easily with a dab of a moist Q-Tip. If you use a slightly damp brush to apply the shadows, there's no fall-out. Once applied, the color lasts all day.

The first shade of Sunday Riley's Prismasilk Eye Color I tried was Pot of Gold. Check it out here. With a little luck and some sunshine, I hope to show you the rest of my new eye shadows later this week.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is a lovely combination, now I'm so intrigued to see Leprechaun for myself. And you're right, Moondust looks like a perfect base color for you! Thanks for another great review!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Elizabeth!

You can replicate Moon Dust easily - probably from your own shadows. Leprechaun will be a bit harder to duplicate. It's one of my favorites of my new Sunday Riley colors.