Monday, February 6, 2012

Edward Bess Platinum Concealer

With the launch of Edward Bess cosmetics and skin care at Sephora, I've been exploring. Always on the hunt for the "best concealer on earth," I decided to order Edward Bess Platinum Concealer ($38). I assumed it would elate me as much as every other Edward Bess treasure I've ordered.

Unfortunately, I'm not elated. Platinum Concealer is described as a creamy, full-coverage concealer that leaves the skin looking flawless. Here's its "bio."

The rich, yet lightweight texture of this formula blends smoothly across your skin and conceals to perfection. Fade away discolorations and brighten dark under-eye circles for the look of flawless, radiant skin. The sleek, twist-up case provides precise application with every use.

Platinum Concealer is available in four shades. I selected Ivory Nude, the lightest, described as light sand. The color is very good, but not perfect, for me. It is just a tad too yellow. Once blended, though, it's fine.

I was surprised the first time I applied the Platinum Concealer. I applied a light, slap-dash covering under my eyes (as I normally do with stick concealers) and expected to blend it with my favorite concealer brush. Naturally, I had primed my skin with a superbly hydrating eye cream. I found that the concealer didn't offer the slip to which I am accustomed, and it was hard to achieve a natural look when I attempted to blend it with my trusty brush. I resorted to my fingertips to warm the concealer to make it more blendable. I had to tug my delicate under-eye area too much to blend it.

The next time I applied it, I used a lighter hand in applying the concealer from the stick, which worked better. It still didn't have the slip I like, and I wasn't able to blend it easily with my concealer brush. Once again, I resorted to my fingertips to warm the product and finish the application. I can't agree with the words "rich" and "lightweight" in the product bio, and for me, it doesn't "blend smoothly" on the fragile skin under my eyes. It blends easily on my nose.

Once applied, Platinum Concealer does provide full coverage, as advertised. I think that's its best feature. It covers very well. I took a photo in miserable light (it was partly cloudy outside) to show you how well it covers the veins in my arm. I did not blend it for this swatch photo, however when blended it offers fabulous coverage. I hope you can see that the prominent veins on my arm are markedly less prominent above. The same will be true for the dark circles you may have under your eyes or any spots on your face that you prefer to mask.

I'd really like to hear any tips you can offer for applying Platinum Concealer. My skin is ultra-dry this time of year, so the problems I've experienced may be unique. Those with "slippery" skin (oily or combination - maybe even normal) may have an entirely different experience. I believe that because of the blendability on my nose. Still, I can't give Platinum Concealer an unqualified recommendation, as I had expected/hoped. I have concealers that blend more easily on my skin (Chantecaille, Le Métier de Beauté, Temptu, Bobbi Brown - to name a few), and for that reason I prefer them.

You can purchase Edward Bess Platinum Concealer at Edward's Web site, Bergdorf Goodman, a few Neiman Marcus counters, and, ta da, Sephora. I'm still excited about my new Edward Bess shopping at Sephora online. One so-so purchase hasn't dampened my enthusiasm.

Photo at top courtesy of Edward Bess; other photo by Best Things in Beauty

17 comments:

Nemo said...

I never have been impressed with anything by Edward Bess. Too boring, too forgettable. Never anything that says Wow to me. I think he and his line are terribly overrated.

patpat said...

Hello. I read somewhere to swipe brush on concealer and then apply to area. Did you try that? I love EB.

katie said...

I use my ring finger, swirl it around on the concealer stick (this warms it) and then pat, pat, pat. I do not rub or even slide my finger, just pat...and sometimes finish off with my lmdb concealer brush. I really like this concealer, however, I was afraid to get the lightest shade in spite of my own instincts...but I think I need it! So glad you posted this- now I know :)

sparklehead said...

I love this concealer, it's my absolute favorite! I find it works the best with my finger warming it and then I just pat on a thin layer. I've used a brush but always ended up finishing with my fingers. For concealing tiny blemishes I use a brush with a lot of give so it's not picking up too much product. I dab it on the spot and then just softly pat my finger on top of it.

Eileen said...

I think Katie and Sparklehead have the right of it: Warm it with your fingers then pat and blend. That's what the SA did when I tried it at the EB counter. It was nice, but I gave it a miss because I still had my beloved Clé de Peau at home and very seldom use concealer. By the way, Edward is not real big on brushes as his offering of only two would indicate, so I don't think his concealer was meant to be used with a brush.

Hi Nemo,

EB will never have the Wow! factor you speak of because he's all about refined neutrals and is quite the minimalist. His rather limited and classic palette; however, in no way detracts from the superlative quality of most of his products. I adore EB and appreciate his elegance, but for glitz, glam, or color statements, I look elsewhere. It all comes down to different strokes . . . :-)

Anonymous said...

I love EB. I've been on the hunt for the perfect lipliner (I'm at the age where I need definition) but not interfere with lipstick or gloss color. Found it with EB. Everything looks natural, that's the beauty of his line

Lisa said...

Try swiping the concealed on the back of your hand, take a small amount of your eye cream next to it on your hand. With your favorite concealed brush mixa a third area on your hand taking small amounts of each product til you acheivevthe consistency you like. It's extra work nut the results are usually much kinder to that delicate under eye area without sacrificing coverage.

Carrie Meredith said...

I have this concealer and I'm loving it. First, I use it on parts of my face other than undereyes to warm up the stick, then blend all over. To use under my eyes, I use my finger on the stick to get a good amount of product on my finger, then dab and blend under my eyes. But first, I always use a few drops of facial oil (I like Clarins Santal Facial Oil) under my foundation (also EB cream foundation) and concealer, it makes blending smoother. The EB concealer wears very well, and I think that it's because there is not a high oil content-- it's built to last. But it's true, blendability is sacrificed. That's why I find that using a facial oil is very helpful. :)

lovethescents said...

Thank you for this important review. I STILL don't have a good concealer for the winter. Love my EL for the summer, but it's too liquidy for this time of year. I bought have used the Cle de Peau several times, but I get the same effect you are describing with the EB....to dry and I need to tug with my finger to blend. AND it fades quickly. Someone suggested EB, but thanks to your review, I won't even bother. Sigh....when will I find the right one for me???

katie said...

Love the scents,
I would try it! I find Cle de peau far too dry but really like the eb. It's not absolutely perfect but definitely the best i've tried, and I have tried many, many many. (ps, the new Burberry concealer is pretty good too in my opinion)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi everyone!

The consensus seems to be to use my fingers, which isn't really much different from what I've been doing. I really prefer to use my LMdB concealer brush. I think I'll use more hydrating concealers under my eyes, but use EB's Platinum Concealer for other parts of my face.

I had an interesting phone conversation this morning with a blogger friend who wouldn't "think" of using EB's concealer under her eyes. She uses it elsewhere, and reserves the EB concealer for the rest of her face. I think I'm in her camp. :)

Envy you gals for whom it's not too dry! I adore all of my other EB treasures.

Anonymous said...

Good to know!! I'm starting to notice now that some concealers are too dry for under my eyes. I was thinking of getting this, but will now get the Chantecaille one instead! Thanks so much!
I just got Daydream bronzer and LOVE IT.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tracy!

I love my Chantecaille concealer! Slap, slap, blend, blend, and I'm done.

lovethescents said...

Thanks for the tip, Katie. The trouble is, though, I don't have access to EB so it's always a gamble when buying on the net...not sure if the colour will be right.

Oooooh, Tracey and C-girl, Chantecaille concealer???

katie said...

which chantecaille concealer do you like? It looks like there are three? Always searching for that perfect concealer...

Charlestongirl said...

Katie, I love Bio Lift Concealer!

Charlestongirl said...

Yep, Lovethescents, check out Chantecaille Bio Lift Concealer. See what you think. It has that nice, hydrating inner core.