Thursday, August 12, 2010

Shiseido Luminizing Satin Eye Color Trios for Fall 2010

Shiseido introduced a new set of Luminizing Satin Eye Color Trios ($33) for Fall 2010. Inspired by Shiseido Makeup Artistic Director Dick Page's travels around the globe, the new palettes offer alluring combinations and endless variety. Each palette of three colors can be used to create a multitude of looks.

Last week, Kelly, author of Gouldylox Reviews, one of my favorite blogs, published a review of the Fall 2010 collection. The minute I saw her swatches and photograph of GD804, shown at left immediately below, I knew I had to have it!

Off I went to Nordstrom, where the Shiseido temptations were like a gravitational pull. I had gone specifically to purchase GD804, Opera. I did that, but I also purchased BR307, Strata, which reached out and grabbed me. I almost purchased GD901, Snow Shadow. Although I resisted last weekend, I fear that Snow Shadow is going to reel me in too, shattering any illusion that I might reduce my spending.

All seven trios feature Shiseido's advanced "color and light technology" for true color and all-day wear. I love that term, "true color." I've become a Shiseido true color believer!

Opera (GD804) was inspired by the golden statuary on the roof of the Opera Garnier in Paris, set against a blue springtime sky. Strata (BR307), inspired by a rock face in Chaco, New Mexico, is composed with neutrals, with an unusual (and delightful) addition of a luminous light pink. Pinks and browns go beautifully together, and I think Page was brilliant to use the pink shade in this trio, rather than a more predictable light beige shade.

My arm photos to the left show Strata at top and Opera below. The photos were taken outside right before a storm, so they are darker than I would prefer. I have to grab photos after work when I can (how I would love to be independently wealthy and not have to hold a "real job"!). I applied each shade lightly, using the sponge-tipped applicators that are provided with the compacts. In "real life," I use my own eye shadow brush, and the application is sheer, buildable, and beautiful.

These shades are much prettier on the skin than they appear in the palette photos. If you look at Shiseido's photo at top right, the colors appear larger than life, highly pigmented, and intense. In the three palettes that lured me, the only shade that I could describe that way is the blue in Opera. It is bright, and a little goes a long way. Blended out, though, in the center of the lid above the lash line, it erases the appearance of any redness in the whites of my eyes.

I wore the Opera gold and khaki/taupe shades to work today, with just a touch of the blue in the center of the lower lid, applied sheerly and blended well, and the look was subdued and flattering. Head over and see how they looked on Kelly's eyes! She's much braver than I am (and younger too). The neutrals in Strata are so easy to use, you could brush and go - on the run - and they would still look great.

When I was at Nordstrom, the Shiseido rep was not there. I would love to have been able to identify the new lip colors and try them too. Maybe next time. For now, I'm loving my new eye shadows.

You can purchase Shiseido's Fall 2010 Collection from at Shiseido counters at Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Macy's, and Lord & Taylor and some Sephora stores. Lots of stores, so you have to stop and play with these pretty new colors!

Photos courtesy of Shiseido and by BTiB

No comments: