Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Estée Lauder's New Pure Color Eyeshdow - My Selections

I had a blast working with Loyd Cassler, Armani Beauty guru, at Saks Fifth Avenue in Chevy Chase, Maryland, when I selected my new Pure Color Eyeshadow ($20) shades by Tom Pecheux of Estée Lauder. Yes, I dragged my Armani buddy over to Estée Lauder. I have no shame, and I value his opinions.

We both got to work playing with the shades. My eyes zeroed right in on Enchanted Forest, which appeared to be relatively pigmented in the pan, but was delightfully sheer on my skin. Then, Loyd choose Hot Cinnamon; he went right to it. We oohed and aahed. My list started to build. The next one we selected was Tempting Mocha. We also played with and ogled Midnight Star and Emerald Star, dark and dramatic shades that are going to have many admirers.

The shadows are available in four finishes: metallic, shimmering, satin, and a calm matte finish. I realized that we had selected three shimmering shades, so I started the hunt for a satin shade that would be perfect for me. The first two I selected were rejected by Loyd. He told me they were boring and that I had a zillion shades like them. When I got to Sugar Biscuit, he approved. Pfew! I had four to wear - and show you.

On my arm at right are, top to bottom, Enchanted Forest, Sugar Biscuit, Tempting Mocha, and Hot Cinnamon. I love all of them, and there are many more I would have purchased, except for my credit card bill.

Even Loyd commented on how pretty the new Estée Lauder packaging is. Classy! The reflective gold case with an updated logo is shown below. The photo lost a lot of detail and its shine when I tried to get a picture without a reflection of my car, my house, or the trees. Hopefully, you can imagine its gem-like brilliance.

Check out the Pure Color Eyeshadow at Estée Lauder's Web site. You really need to see the shades in person, though. They are so vibrant. You will have fun at your favorite Estée Lauder counter. See if you can purchase just one!

Photo of Hilary Rhoda courtesy of Estée Lauder - did you know that Hilary Rhoda was raised in Chevy Chase, Maryland?

4 comments:

Eileen said...

Well, I never thought I'd be buying an Estee Lauder eye shadow, but as the old saying goes, "Never say never!" After reading your glowing review, I decided to check out the new shadows while in Nordstrom and ended up making my first Estee Lauder purchase in over thirty years.

For awhile now, I have been searching for a dark, warm, forest green to use along the lash line then fade out over Edward Bess' Intimate (a complex, medium taupe) Although I had seen plenty of pretty greens, they were either too cool or too khaki and simply did nothing for my dark, moss green eyes. But, as soon as I saw Estee Lauder's new eye shadows, I promptly zeroed in on a beautiful shade called Emerald Star--a deep, warm emerald with just a hint of gold. It was love at first sight. I saw, I swatched, I plunked down my Nordstrom card!

As soon as I got my new treasure home, I put it to the test. It applied true to the color in the pan and blended beautifully with EB's Intimate. It lasted the afternoon and well into the night without losing color. I had found perfection!

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. BTW, that Hot Cinnamon is gorgeous and is next on my list of things I can't live without :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I love it! That was Loyd's and my reaction to Emerald Star. It is "beyond gorgeous." A little too intense for my face, but Loyd (the uber-makeup artist) adored it.

Months ago, readers told me that EL was history. Little did they know what was in store. Tom Pecheux has totally energized the brand. The new shadow colors grabbed me, grabbed you, and will grab a lot of gals who go see them. The price is right, and there's a shade or three for everyone!

I love the creamy texture of these powders, and, as you mentioned, they last on the lid. I know I'll end up purchasing more of them.

Your green eyes are going to look incredible in Hot Cinnamon. It makes my blue eyes very blue.

Thanks for your fab comment!

Bonnie C. said...

The colors you made swatches of are beautiful! :-) The top three are my favorite, and they look so much nicer than I thought they would after viewing the product from their website. Ah, the power of swatches! :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Bonnie, the whole display is amazing. The one that's getting all the magazine coverage is Emerald Star - Eileen's favorite.