Sunday, June 13, 2010

Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Lait pour le Corps

Diptyque's L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Lait pour le Corps is a luxurious body lotion at $56, but I think I'm hooked. It's unlike any other body lotion I have.

The fragrance is green - screaming green! It smells like Diptyque took fragrant green leaves, crushed them all - including blackcurrant leaves - and then added the elixir to a base of sweet almond oil and macadamia seed oil to create a unique body lotion.

Here's the description from Beautyhabit.

The rustling green of the leaves of the dark fruit and the fruity amplitude of the classic roses formed the basis of the idea that Desmond Knox-Leet, Diptyque's self-taught "nose," rushed to develop. One of Diptyque's cult eaux de toilette, it was the result of a happy stroke of chance and the collaboration of the three Diptyque creators and a British friend. Dido Merwin developed precious fragrant blends of dried flowers for the store at 34 Boulevard Saint Germain. One day as she was in her shady garden picking blackcurrants for making jelly and roses for bouquets, she was enchanted by the scent of this unusual combination.

The very botanical, very green sap of the blackcurrant leaves are fused with bergamot and mandarin to temper the leaf note. Fresh, crisp Damask roses flourish and arouse the senses. This floral bouquet takes on delicate persistence and roundness with notes of ambergris and musks. This scent was created in 1983.


What's interesting to me about L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Lait pour le Corps is that I don't smell the rose. The green is so thoroughly intense that all other notes have walk-on parts. They are scarcely there.

I love Diptyque candles - I must have dozens of them. Despite that, I have never loved the company's fragrances (at least the ones I have tried). This body lotion tells me I missed one!

You can purchase Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Lait pour le Corps at Beautyhabit or the Diptyque store online.

Photo courtesy of Beautyhabit

2 comments:

KathyT said...

This fragrance was one of my first Diptyques. I don't wear it as much as I used to, but I love that green sap note with a touch of sweetness in the background. Sometimes the green gets to be too much for me, but it doesn't smell like anything else in my collection. I need to try some of the body products because I love their fragrances. I think that my favorite is Tam Dao for the wonderful sandalwood. Do you use the room sprays? I tried a sample of one that smelled exactly like a smoky fireplace (Feu Bois?) which is a nightmare to me! I found a new home for that one fast!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Kathy,

Maybe that's why I love the body lotion so much...it's hard to overdo a fragrance in a lotion. :)

I don't think I could handle eau de fireplace either. Yuk!