Saturday, December 12, 2009

Patricia Wexler's Daily Defense Anti-Oxidant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30

I've never been a big fan of tinted moisturizers. Dr. Patricia Wexler has changed that. Daily Defense Anti-Oxidant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 ($29.50) has several features I like, so it will become a reach-for product in my bathroom.

Why have most tinted moisturizers fallen short of my expectations? Usually the color is "off" since they come in such a limited range of shades. They don't cover my slight imperfections (my Armani foundation makes my sun spots disappear). Although they offer sun protection, I can get that in other ways - or just wear my foundation.

A few weeks ago, I ordered the Wexler tinted moisturizer from Bath & Body Works. It's available in three shades: light, medium, and deep. Naturally, I ordered light.

It appealed to me that the world-famous dermatologist had created this product. I think some of her products, such as Fastscription, are at the top of their class. Here is what Bath & Body Works has to say about Daily Defense Anti-Oxidant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30.

Safe skin is healthy skin. Protect, repair, and enhance skin against the daily assaults of dehydration, free radical damage, and ultraviolet damage. This protective, tinted moisturizer defends skin and enhances it with a veil of natural color to even skin tone and texture. Available in three shades to blend with a wide range of skin tones.
  • Protects skin from environmental assaults
  • Lightweight formula enhances skin's radiance with sheer, natural coverage
  • Broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection
  • Contains skin-regenerating MMPi
It arrived, I tried, and I like it. The light shade works well for my skin. It's actually a tad darker than "me," but when applied to my whole face, it balances the difference between my genetically rosy mid-face and the rest of my face, which is very pale. It tones down the red and adds a healthy color to the ivory - like a very slight suntan glow without the sun. The color is not so tan that I end up with the dreaded jaw line of demarcation. The color works.

It feels weightless and doesn't smell. That's always important. It applies and blends very easily. And I know that it has SPF 30 and Wexler's trademark MMPi, so it's good for my skin.

Like other tinted moisturizers, it does not cover my sun spots. Those little devils congregate on the "frame" of my face, and I hate them. Not enough to go get them lasered off yet, but I don't like to look at them. No tinted moisturizer has ever blurred them, and this one doesn't either.

When will I wear it? Probably on my weekend no-makeup days, when I let my skin "run free." I'll tame the redness, but still look natural and healthy.

An option for those who don't have dry skin is to wear it as a "regular" moisturizer under foundation. I think it would be a great option for those who don't need a super-charged moisturizer or a lot of slip.

You can purchase Patricia Wexler's products at Bath & Body Works. While you're there, make sure to check out Fastscription Instant De-Puff Eye Gel ($19.50), the Wexler miracle product.

Photo courtesy of Bath & Body Works

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Sorry for this random comment....and question. I have the tinted moisturizer that I received from a friend of mine, without the box. Could you please, if it isn't too much trouble, list the ingredients of the light Tinted moisturizer? It would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Charlestongirl said...

Sorry, Anonymous. This box has been gone for almost two years. I'm big on recycling.